This week I was in line for Starbucks … again. I’d just been there two days before, but I needed it, and vindicated my drinking choices with my blonde-head held high. I was that kind of girl … the Starbucks-toting, it-is-what-it-is “Gold Card Member,” drive-through frequenter that women like me are so typically pegged to be. There’s a favorite verse of mine, Corinthians 15:10 that says, “But by the grace of God, I am what I am, and his grace within me is not without effect.” I realized I would not be “effective” at all, without a Ventì.
While I might regret my Starbucks affliction at times, this week, (yes I’m talking about Wednesday morning) there was NOTHING that could keep me away from my perkalicious-pick-me-up. The funniest thing was, as I made the necessary left, and quick right turn into the parking lot, my kids chorused, ” Again mom?”
“Don’t be judgmental,” I chided, “it’s not an attractive quality.
“Yeah,” my son said, “but weren’t you just here like – a day ago?”
Thankfully, right as we pulled into the line, I saw something beautiful … a man drinking a large porcelain cup of coffee, as he waited in the drive through line to order MORE coffee! I laughed out loud and immediately diverted the conversation by throwing this amazing man right under the proverbial bus. “See,” I literally pointed,”now that guy has problems! He’s the addict.” My kids reluctantly agreed, and let me proceed with my order sans discrimination due to the double-fisted wonder ahead of me. Still, if I hadn’t felt so “on-watch” I’d have loved to get another drink today … maybe two.
And while my pride won’t let me, I’ve decided to exonerate you … to absolve if you need to have a double-fisted day of three shots of espresso, or even something stronger. So here’s a small list of reasons to allow you to be, “Off the Hook,” so-to-speak. Relate to one, or ten … and enjoy a drink on me!
Official Double-Fisted Off the Hook List
- If you’ve lost sleep because you’re looking into moving to Australia instead of staying in America … you’re off the hook.
- If you’re balancing work, or kids, or school, or all of the above … you’re off the hook.
- If you’re going on a television fast because you can’t stand to see another Black Friday commercial thus reminding you of the inevitability that you’re about to be broke in a month … you’re off the hook.
- If your laundry is tracking you and the only way to avoid it is to leave the house … you’re off the hook.
- If your inbox is filled to the digital brim with things you’re trying hard to ignore … you’re off the hook.
- If you realized that the Halloween candy bowl is a lot lighter but you aren’t … you’re off the hook.
- If you just want to go jump in the leaves but have to go to work instead … you’re off the hook.
- If you needed to wear your winter coat for the first time this week … you’re off the hook.
- If the only family member who hasn’t made you lose your temper this week is the cat or dog … you’re off the hook.
- If you’ve already double booked (or triple-booked) for the holidays … you’re off the hook.
- If you’ve spent any amount of time at all on Pinterest, thus making you feel like an epic failure … you’re off the hook.
- If you had someone tell you, “You look tired,” this week … you’re off the hook.
- If you would do anything to stay in bed but the alarm is reminding you that the world expects you to show up … you’re off the hook.
You’re vindicated, you’re exonerated, you’re double-fist coffee worthy!