It is the first day of the first month of a new year, and let me remind you – anything is possible. People always say, “Happy New Year,” but I want to offer you more than happy … I want to give you my own personalized list of seventeen wishes for 2017 that have nothing to do with resolutions (thank God). Author Francesca Lia Block offered great advice when she said, “Wish on everything. Pink cars are good, especially old ones. And stars of course, first stars and shooting stars. Planes will do if they are the first light in the sky and look like stars. Wish in tunnels, holding your breath and lifting your feet off the ground.” So, from someone who believes in the power of a wish followed by a prayer … here are mine for you.
- I wish you the longest of weekends … and the shortest of Mondays.
- I wish you laughter – the kind that makes your belly ache, tears run down your cheeks, and your breath come in pants and wheezes.
- I wish you luxurious baths, filled with bubbles so thick you can’t see your toes.
- I wish you coffee … coffee every single day in only the BIGGEST of mugs.
- I wish you clearance sales when you don’t expect them.
- I wish you loads of time for reading books that fill your spirit with the power of pretend.
- I wish you marathon movie nights with loads of buttered popcorn and M&M’s.
- I wish you adventures that lead you to discover you are braver than you ever thought you could be.
- I wish you loads of sweet-dream sleep, complimented only by the cool side of the pillow.
- I wish you ordinary delights, like perfectly toasted toast, a full gas tank when you didn’t expect it, extra cheese on your pizza, and a day free of any computer glitches at all.
- I wish you ice cream on a weekly basis, especially if it involves peanut butter or marshmallow sauce, sprinkles and cherry juice.
- I wish you memories … the type that flit into your consciousness and make you smile almost before you register that they’re there … like a friend who came to visit, bringing you “home” once again.
- I wish you a chance to step into the ocean, to stand somewhere with a view, to lean into the wind, and to remember that you’re a part of a story much bigger than your own.
- I wish you the appreciation of others, even people you don’t know … I wish you relationships, both old and new, that stretch into friendships you’ll never outgrow.
- I wish you poetry, not the kind you read, but the kind you feel beyond the page.
- I wish you the opportunity to nurture your curiosity, to imagine what ifs, to discover new places, and to create space in your life to play.
- Finally, I wish you undeniable, unquenchable, unrestrained joy. I wish you much beyond happy … I wish you unmitigated delight in believing that this isn’t just another year … but another chance to find the best version of yourself.
It is an honor to know that somehow, my words have found you. I pray that this year I’ll continue to have the pleasure of your company, whether in person, or here as digital friends. Your readership is one of my greatest sources of happy … so please keep visiting me here, and share this blog if you think anyone else would like to join our weekly word party.