Today is your birthday, and I am on the other side of the world. I have never, in all glorious 15 years of you, been away from you for as long, as far, and as monumental an occasion as the day God gave you to me. My, but love hurts.
Even though I’m not with you, there are a few things you should know … fifteen things actually.
1. Your kindness humbled and astounds me.
2. I love the way your mischief smile trails a wake of dimples across your face. No one has a chance against that smile.
3. Your passion for people is inspiring. You make others comfortable just by being you!
4. I love the way you love your sister. Fiercely. Protectively. And with best-friend-status joy.
5. You have your daddy’s sense of calm measure. It will and has already served you well.
6. I adore that you love board games as much as I do, even if I never win.
7. The way you carry on a conversation brings me such pride. You are charm itself.
8. Every time I tell someone who didn’t know I was your mom, that you are my son, they literally tell me how awesome you are. I glow. What else can I possibly do?
9. Your curiosity is contagious and wonderful.
10. Sometimes, my favorite thing is just a hug from you. Somehow, they’re never long enough.
11. I truly believe the world is better for having you in it.
12. I love seeing your tenacious and audacious sense of hope and possibility. Nothing keeps you down.
13. Your sense of purpose in this life is wise beyond your years. I wish I could bottle your character.
14. You are always polite. No one can say that, but you seem to be the rule’s exception.
15. Being your mom is ultimately, irrevocably, and inarguably, my greatest gift.
I wish, as ever, to slow time … to be with you without the constant knowing that the moments, and minutes, and days carry on. It would seem, birthday boy, that not all wishes come true … but God, I am so grateful for the wish-come-true of you.
Love you to Neverland,