“There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time. Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional moments and most of the time we are ageless.” – Milan Jundera
I decided a great long time ago that I was never going to grow up fully. I can’t say exactly when I made this magnanimous decision … maybe when I read Peter Pan for the first time … maybe when my dad held me to his chest and said, “My little girl is growing up?” It might have been when I decided to be a teacher to stay with kids longer, or even when I had my own babies and tried to raise them to have their own golden childhood.
Though some days (like today) I feel ancient and tired from my long, weary schedule … I’ve been reflecting on the twenty ways that I’m pretty sure I’m still a kid.
- I drink chocolate milk regularly … like … every other day.
- I dip animal crackers in my coffee.
- Converse are my favorite shoes and I have about fifteen pairs in different colors that I often wear with skirts – at work.
- I write children’s books because they are the genre I still most enjoy reading.
- I celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday in my class with readings no matter what age I’m teaching.
- I believe in the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Yeti, and other unproven creatures … the way I see it is … if they haven’t proven they don’t exist – why not?
- I often wear my hair in double braids like Dorothy or double buns like Princess Leia … depending on my mood.
- My favorite animal changes every day.
- I am more excited to go to the zoo than my own children.
- I wholeheartedly believe in the power of pretend.
- I want to be a fairy and sprinkle glitter generously and often.
- I will eat ice cream any time of the day it is offered to me.
- I love stickers.
- I think pizza tastes best on Friday because it is my favorite day of the week.
- I still ask my mom, dad, sister, cousin, and best friends before making any decisions about important things.
- I still ask my husband for five more minutes when I wake up (and he gives me ten because he’s amazing like that).
- I love cartoons. I even watch them alone.
- I have a Disney playlist that I pride myself on because I know all of the words to every song and my kids don’t.
- I have a yearning to play kickball every day of recess duty.
- I wish on everything … eyelashes, 11:11, stars, candles, sometimes even airplanes if they’re flying fast enough at night.
Come on … be young with me! I can’t wait to see what you’ve got on your kid list and if any of our kiddish tendencies overlap! Please reach out and tell me a few so I can add them to my life habits!